In the show two main teams make up the California Bureau of Investigation (CBI), which is based in Sacramento and also has offices in San Francisco and Fresno. In the hierarchy of the state government, the Director of the CBI answers to the state Attorney General. Each field office has a chief, the largest of which is in Sacramento where the series takes place.
The last Chief of the CBI's Sacramento Office was Luther Wainwright. The previous chiefs were J.J. LaRoche who went back to Internal Affairs, Madeleine Hightower, who was presumably fired after being framed by Red John, and Virgil Minelli, who retired following the murders of Sam Bosco and his team by Rebecca.
The Chief of the CBI's Sacramento Office answers to Gale Betram the CBI Director who has also been referred to as the deputy Attorney General. It may be that CBI Director might be a title of the Attorney General's office and hence held by the same individual.
- Teresa Lisbon (Senior Agent)
- Wayne Rigsby
- Kimball Cho (Senior Agent in an episode; second in command)
- Grace Van Pelt
- Patrick Jane (independent consultant)
- Kim Fischer (FBI support, in season 6)
- Dennis Abbott (FBI support, in season 6)
However, Rebecca was exposed as an accomplice of Red John after she murdered Bosco's team under Red John's orders. Who, if anyone, has replaced Bosco's team isn't yet known.
- Ray Haffner †(Senior Agent)
- Rick Tork
- Anthony Niskin
- Ed Mastersson
- Patrick Jane (temporary; consultant)
- Grace Van Pelt (temporary; support)
- Kimball Cho (temporary; support)
They are introduced in episode Little Red Book. Jane joins the team when Lisbon's team is temporarily dismantled. He tries to get the whole Lisbon's team back in business and succees to do so by gaining suspensions to Tork, Niskin and Mastersson. Then, Haffner left the CBI and works as a private detective primarily for the cult like group Visualize. Ray Hafner was killed in the explosion at Patrick Jane's home.
Sacramento Special Agent in ChargeEdit
- Virgil Minelli (2001-2009) - also Director
- Madeleine Hightower (2009-2011)
- J.J. LaRoche (2011) - temporarily, also Head of CBI Internal Affairs
- Luther Wainwright † (2011-2012)
- Gale Bertram (2012-2013) - also Director
- Teresa Lisbon (2013) temporarily, CBI offices shut down
Other known membersEdit
- J.J. LaRoche (Head of Internal Affairs)
- Brenda Shettrick (former Head of the CBI Media Relations Unit)
- Brett Partridge † (former CSI tech boss)
- Val Ziskin (CSI photographer)
- Foley (CSI tech) and other various CSI members
- CBI Ron (agent)
- CBI Karl (agent)
- Oscar Ardiles (Assistant of District Attorney, collaborator of CBI)
- Sarah Harrigan, (public defender and lawyer, Assistant of District Attorney, collaborator of CBI)
- Security Guards Jim and Jimmy
- Vint Molinari (Head of Missing People Unit)
- Marcia Wallace (coroner)
- Coroner Pat (coroner)
- Coroner Steiner (former coroner)
- Baris Acar † (former morgue assistant)
- Tamsin Wade (counter-gang unit agent)
- Stephen Hannigan (former special agent)
- Dr. Roy Carmen (former CBI psychiatrist)
- Craig O'Laughlin † (former FBI Agent and external collaborator of CBI)
Behind the ScenesEdit
The CBI is an actual organization which few know about or acknowledge. This fact is played on constantly in The Mentalist as the characters introduce themselves to people.